Monday, September 30, 2013

Roses et Chocolat Tea Blend, Version #4

As I set to finally re-launched the missing blends for my tea collection (Roses et Chocolat and Immortelle l'Amour) I encounter some technical difficulties resulting from shortage of Rose Congou to blend with. I've decided to experiment with blending without that key ingredient. Today I was working with two exceptional black teas I have at my disposal: Darjeeling and Ghorka. While the two are extremely different from the ashy and rose-scented Keemun black tea (which is what Rose Congou is); they possess desirable qualities that inspired me to step up to the challenge.

Darjeeling is considered the "champagne of black teas" and is most favoured by the French, who incorporate it into tea-infused desserts. It has floral qualities, as well as an astringent aftertaste that make it light and refreshing, yet full of depth.

Ghorka is the name of a tea estate in Nepal, that is situated at 1951m on the Himalaya mountains. The particular tea I have was cask-aged in oak barrels where Cabarnet Franc and Merlot wines were previously stored. It has depth and roundness that reminds me of chocolate, and is also reminiscent of baked apples. It has become my mainstay breakfast tea, usually taken with a tad of whole milk.

While the teas are wonderful, it takes just a hint too much of this spice or another, too little or too much rose petals, to bring an imbalance to the blend. The result simply paled in comparison to what I had in mind, the roses were taking over and not in a good way, with the spices giving them a very sharp edge that was unpleasant to me.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home